Can I bulk up on plant-based protein?
As the number of plant-based guys and gals grows, more and more people are starting to ask the question: “Can I achieve the same results with Plant Protein as I can with Whey?”
THE ANSWER IS YES!
How can you tell?
So per 100g, really you’re only missing out on 5.9g of protein in 100g. When you have your scoop of protein (30g serve), there’s only 1.8g difference in your serve between pea and whey (Pea 24.6g, Whey 26.4g).
“Well what if I really wanted that extra 1.8g?”
If you’re trying to increase or maintain muscle mass, current research suggests that the recommendation for protein intake for someone who is active and looking to gain lean muscle is 1.2-1.7g /kg/day. So, if you weighed 80kg you would require an intake of protein of 96g (at 1.2g) per day. Lets assume you’re not intaking any other protein in an entire day – this would mean that you would need 3.9 serves of Pea Pro per day, as opposed to 3.4 serves with a whey. That’s half a serve more than the other, it’s really not that much more.
“But I’m still on the fence!”
A study published in 2013 by the Nutrition Journal on the “Effects of 8 weeks of whey or rice protein supplementation on body composition and exercise performance” concluded that there were no detectable differences present in scores of perceived recovery, soreness, or readiness to train. What differences they did find however, was that RPI (Rice Protein Isolate) consumption post resistance exercise decreases fat-mass and increases lean body mass, skeletal muscle hypertrophy, power and strength comparable to WPI.
“Are plant based proteins as nutritionally available as whey?”
We can’t speak for our competitors, but when it comes to PSA protein you’re getting the very best, so yes.
All of the products in our plant based range contain all 9 essential amino acids,
- Histidine, – Essential amino acid used for the biosynthesis of proteins
- Isoleucine – Part of the BCAA group and is able to significantly increase glucose uptake and the usage of glucose during exercise.
- Leucine, – A BCAA, called the ‘main’ amino acid, mostly responsible for muscle synthesis.
- Lysine, – A Building block of protein sourced externally from food.
- Methionine, – Builds various protein molecules & responsible for the synthesis of L-cysteine.
- Phenylalanine, – The body changes this into Tyrosine; responsible for protein production and various brain chemicals.
- Threonine, – Supports cardiovascular, liver, central nervous system & immune function
- Tryptophan, and – Increases serotonin, it is the precursor of the neurotransmitter.
- Valine, – The last guy in the BCAA crew, stimulating the central nervous system, and mental functioning
The plant-based range is also completely Dairy, Gluten, GMO, Artificial and Fillers Free!
“So what’s stopping me?”
Well, the only thing that may be stopping you is the taste factor; whey and plant are two different compounds, they also taste quite different from each other in terms of texture. WPI has a light and creamy texture, whereas our plant based range is more silky and thick. Once you’re over that then there are no real differences whatsoever!