To celebrate David Rangi competing this year at the 2015 Jiu-Jitsu IBJJF Championship we thought we’d share some info on David and how he got there.
Name: David Rangi Thomas
D.O.B: 18th October 1983
Hometown: Yeppoon, Qld.
Sport: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Grappling
Accolades: 2014 Competitive Season
- AFBJJ National Overall 1st place Ranked Master Novice No-Gi & Gi
- AFBJJ Pan-Pacific 79kg-88.5kg No-Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Pan-Pacific Open Weight Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Pan-Pacific Open Weight No-Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Australian National 79kg-88.5kg Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Australian National 79kg-88.5kg No-Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Australian National Open Weight No-Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Qld State 79kg-88.5kg Gi 2nd Place
- AFBJJ Qld State 79kg-88.5kg No-Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Qld State Open Weight Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Qld State Open Weight No-Gi 2nd Place
- AFBJJ Sth East Qld 79kg-88.5kg Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Sth East Qld 79kg-88.5kg No-Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Central Qld 79kg-88.5kg No-Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Central Qld 79kg-88.5kg Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Central Qld Open Weight No-Gi Champion
- AFBJJ Central Qld Open Weight Gi 3rd Place
- Rockhampton Regional 79kg-88.5kg No-Gi Winner
- Rockhampton Regional Open Weight No-Gi Winner
I am originally from Rotorua New Zealand and moved to my now hometown of Yeppoon Central Queensland, when I was 16yrs old. I was raised in a very sport active family, and my earliest sports memory is playing club Rugby in the middle of winter at 5yrs Old in bare feet I have been married to my wife Amy for 12yrs and have 2 beautiful daughters, Manaia (4yrs) & Mischa (10months). My family is extremely supportive of my BJJ journey and are always on the sidelines cheering me on. I think it’s very important to have a solid family surrounding when competing at a high level, they not only give you the motivation to push through the hard times, but also make sure your head doesn’t get too big with success I am a self-employed Electrical & Refrigeration Contractor, so when I’m preparing for a comp, it can be difficult to find the time to fit it all in. But as long as my Family remains my main priority, everything else will always fall in place.
My focus Athletically, is to continue competing for as long as my body will allow me too The 2015 World Championships are my focus for now, and I have multiple state competitions to keep me busy for the 2015 season. Long term, my goal is to open a fully Not-for-profit community youth Brazilian Jiu Jitsu & Grappling program.